- We are a not-for-profit, community group called Wanaka Stakeholder Group Incorporated
- We are made up of hundreds of Upper Clutha locals, rate payers, business owners and families who love and care about the future of Wanaka.
- We are parents, grandparents, aunties and uncles who are concerned about the impact the decisions made today will have on our children in the future.
- We are the collective voice of the Upper Clutha community, and those who cherish Wanaka and want it to retain its special character.
- We are currently growing our membership rapidly as more and more Upper Clutha residents, and people who live further afield and love our community, find out what’s happening.
- You’ll hear us using terms like “Protect Wanaka” and #jetfreewanaka because these are amongst the most important issues we care about right now.
Our main concern is that the people of Upper Clutha should be fully informed about the proposals, their likely impacts and that the people of Wanaka, Hawea and surrounding areas have a genuine say in the outcome of this discussion.
Wanaka Stakeholders Group is an incorporated society which has been formed for the benefit of all of us in the Upper Clutha. You can find out more about the current committee on this page.
Become a member
Our strength is amplified with collective action, and you can help make a difference with Protect Wanaka right now! The support we receive is a huge driver of the work we do in getting to the nuts and bolts of Wanaka’s most challenging problems. Get in touch today and join our community. Verified numbers provide a certifiable voice to those we must talk with.
For a start, join our mailing list by clicking the button on this page.
What do we stand for?
We want to be clear about where we stand on the issues surrounding the development of the airport. The following is the position of Wanaka Stakeholders Group Inc. (WSG):
- WSG supports the existing focus on general aviation activities and welcome the return of scheduled turbo prop services to Wanaka.
- WSG opposes the development of Wanaka Airport for scheduled jet services.
- WSG is concerned about over-tourism and the adverse impact on the Upper Clutha communities and our environment.
- WSG supports increasing air traffic to existing regional airports in preference to developing Wanaka for jet services.
- WSG believes that the Queenstown Airport Corporation needs to demonstrate that it has fully considered the environmental impact of an airport redevelopment at Wanaka and demonstrate that it can meet New Zealand tourism sustainability commitment.
- From all of our discussions and meetings in the Upper Clutha area to date, WSG is confident that the majority of people in the Upper Clutha strongly oppose the development of Wanaka Airport as currently planned by QAC.
On this page you’ll find a list of the minimum set of solutions we are seeking to this issue.