Decision to reject Bristol Airport expansion plans confirmed at second meeting [Bristol Live, 18/03/20]
The “historic” rejection of Bristol Airport’s expansion plans has been confirmed.
The Lulsgate Bottom transport hub wanted to increase its capacity from 10million to 12million passengers per year but planning chiefs at North Somerset Council said last month the environmental and societal costs outweighed the economic benefits.
They have now ratified that decision a second meeting this afternoon (Wednesday, March 18), despite “threats” from the airport and warnings about the costs of an appeal.
Wrington ward member Councillor Steve Hogg, who led the opposition in February, told the planning and regulatory committee meeting: “We reached a very conclusive and quite historic decision that we should refuse permission.
“Nothing has changed. All we’ve had is quite a threatening and poor quality letter from Bristol Airport chief executive David Lees.
“It makes no difference to the decision we take.